For years, I have tried to make omelets the “correct way”, which is when the fillings are entirely enveloped by egg.
And for years, I have failed miserably. Cheese oozes out the sides, and the thing won’t close, and I’m sure I’d be kicked out of chef school for pulling something like that.
So I have thought to myself . . . I’m terrible at making omelets. The fillings always come out.
However, it has recently come to light that maybe the problem is that omelets just can’t handle me. The way I see it, the fillings are the best part of the meal, hands down. So if there are too many fillings to close the thing…who’s going to get mad? I’m never going to chef school anyway, so the answer is NOBODY.
The world changed a couple weeks ago when I realized if my omelette looks like a taco, that’s PERFECTLY OKAY.
The egg is necessary, yes, but to me, it’s boring. It’s just a carrier. I’ve never been good at gauging how much filling to use, because I like the filling so much and don’t want to use the restraint required to make the egg touch itself all around the edges.
Instead, I’ve made peace with being a rebel whose omelets never close properly. It’s delicious over here on the wild side.
Before we continue, I will tell you that the omelet above contains the following:
- Two eggs
- Chopped green pepper
- Chopped spinach
- Blue cheese
I need not even say: it was SO good.
Here is why you should consider putting omelets in your regular meal rotation. Omelets are:
- A very satisfying breakfast
- Also filling enough to eat for lunch or dinner
- Super quick to make (ready in ten minutes—which is KILLER when you’re hungry)
- Easy to prep ahead of time (chop up the ingredients and pre-cook the meat)
- Ideal for using up miscellaneous ingredients from the fridge
- Great to put on the menu when you’re hosting brunch—just get 2 or 3 pans going, and invite guests to choose their own fillings
- Easy to make very healthy (and such a delicious way to consume veggies and toss in extra greens)
If you want more quick & easy recipes like this, be sure you’re signed up for my email list. I’ll be including lots more simple dinner ideas in my upcoming Meal Planner, which will be released later this year!