Snapshot is a periodic series about what’s going on in my life right now—what I’m eating, reading, doing, loving, and my favorite links from around the web.
This week’s snapshot is going to be a little different, because I’m not in the mood for the usual eating/reading/doing/loving thing right now. This will be a more accurate, because right now, my life is looking different than usual.
I’m getting ready to leave home for two separate week-long trips spanning most of the remaining half of April. The fact that I’m essentially taking a half a month off is crazy weird. Getting ready to be away has been nuts. I’m trying not to use the word busy, because everyone’s busy, yada yada yada. It is more precise to say this week has been full. Full of projects, errands, packing, tying up loose ends and making sure customers feel taken care of in my absence and I’m not leaving anybody high and dry.
The other night I was sort of freaking out from the fullness. How can I get it all done? The overwhelm and fullness was starting to feel like “unhinged”. Which is an unpleasant feeling, as I’m sure you know.
I sank into a hot bathtub with cedarwood oil. And after a few minutes of soaking, I remembered full days mean I have work to do, money coming in, and time off to prepare for—all of which I’m excited about.
Suddenly, instead of just being overwhelmed, I got excited about being excited. And I made a list of things I was excited about. (Call it a new spin on this idea.)
So here’s a sampling of the things I’m excited about right now:
- I’m excited to make (and eat) puppy chow.
- I’m excited about creating online courses. For my own businesses, and for other people’s businesses. It’s SO FUN, it doesn’t feel like work…at all.
- I’m excited to be so freaking close to finishing my next project, 101 Ways to Make Space. Eeee!
- I’m excited for Mariette, who won the book giveaway for It Was Me All Along, yay! The next book I’m reviewing is the Soup Club Cookbook. GET PUMPED.
- I’m excited about how awesome my husband is.
- I’m excited about the new, more united direction my two business are going to be taking in the coming months. Even though I don’t fully understand what that looks like…I can feel it’s going to be epic. I’m excited for the adventure of uncovering that, and sharing it with all of you.
- I’m excited about meeting new friends at the retreat I’m going to next week. Delicious food, time away from routine (because OMG I have one now!), and learning to lead from my strengths. Plus there’s self-assessments involved. I freaking love self-assessments.
- I’m excited to visit my brother and his lovely wife in Nashville. Aside from the fact I love them so much I could burst, I get to see their new house and go to my favorite used bookstore and go hiking and OHMYGOD I can’t contain it all!
- I’m excited about The Great Purge, and the fresh new environment I’ll find under all that extra stuff. (Watch for more posts about my decluttering progress in May!)
From overwhelm, to this. Ready to burst with excitement. I highly recommend you try making a list of things you’re excited about, guys. It is SO FUN.
I visited White Apron Chef to share 7 reasons to stop measuring ingredients while you cook. After you read my post, be sure to check out some of Brigitte’s blog posts—she shares amazing cooking & meal planning tips! Like this one, about pantry essentials.
- There’s a campaign to get a woman on the twenty dollar bill. (Awesome, and it’s about time, right?!) Learn more here, and read about the fascinating candidates.
- Doesn’t paid maternity leave sound dreamy?
- This article makes me want to add warm honey lemon water to my routine. Do you drink it?
- God, I love saying no. Self care FTW!
- The Definitive Guide to Overcoming Procrastination. This might actually work.
- I don’t even have kids yet, but the truth of this post, It Goes So Fast (Not a Parenting Essay), resonates so much. “No woman in the Target checkout line has ever touched my arm and solemnly said, ‘It goes so fast,’ and meant my life.” Moms give so much to their families; don’t forget to save some care for yourself!
- On walking meditation. I want to do this.
- I recently stumbled on this Seasoned Advice cooking forum, which seems like a great resource for “learning to cook” advice. Filing this away for the next time I’m wondering how to convert cooking time from a cake pan to cupcakes, or some such other kitchen adventure.
- Stephen Hawking was asked what human failing he’d most like to correct, and the answer is quite interesting.
- I’m so proud of Monica Lewinsky for choosing a new path for her story—and choosing to turn a difficult situation into an opportunity to help people who are suffering .
- Chicago friends I found your new happy place: A catfe. Cafe with cats. I only wish I had been the genius who thought of that.
- It’s okay to make money, guys.
- Let’s all lighten up, shall we? Stories from The Onion, as interpreted by Facebook.
- The author of my dearly beloved Alice in Tumblrland recently posted How can I be more kind? (some advice to myself) and I dearly love it, too.
- This feels beautiful and heartfelt and true.
- This made me cry just now. You want a physicist to speak at your funeral.
That’s it from me, folks. Now it’s your turn:
What are you excited about?
You can make a list…or you can tell me. You know I love hearing from you. And I like it when we’re excited.