Snapshot is a periodic series about what’s going on in my life right now—what I’m eating, reading, doing, loving, and my favorite links from around the web.
I visited my cousin Kate this week (author of the amazing mac & cheese recipe), who made beef & mushroom stroganoff for dinner—a classic comfort food that brought me right back to childhood. But better, because I refused to eat mushrooms as a kid, but now I LOVE them. What comfort foods have you been enjoying this winter?
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I was in the bathtub until 10 reading this one last night. I just finished the first section (Fates) and am entering the second (Furies). I kind of wish I didn’t need to work so I could just finish it already.
Puzzles. I wrote a blog post about my awesome 3D Hogwarts puzzle earlier this week. After I finished it, hubs surprised me with early birthday gift #2…the Hogwarts Astronomy Tower. IT’S THE ENTIRE HOGWARTS CAMPUS, YOU GUYS. I’m basically in Harry Potter puzzle paradise over here.
Thrift shopping. I took a long break from the thrifts during my Great Purge (another update on that coming soon!) because I didn’t want to add new stuff while I was so deep in purging mode. But after getting rid of so much, my wardrobe was feeling a little drab. Until yesterday. My sister is incredibly skilled at finding hidden gems on a thrift store rack of clothing, and both of us came home with bags full of amazing new clothes yesterday.
- These tiny objects arranged meticulously by color are pleasing to the eyeballs.
- Remember how I said the world is a better place because this exists? My big sis got it for me for Christmas…so my home is now a better place, too.
- What’s in my baggage? “Fun fact about my depression, it’s actually vintage! I got it from my mom, who got it from her mom, who got it from hers.” (This whole thing slayed me.)
- 5 ways to keep housekeeping simple, speedy and sustainable from Clementine Daily. Because it should CLEARLY be these simple, speedy and sustainable, should it not?
- I think these 100 exquisite adjectives should show up more in daily life. Also, raise your hand if Cerulean was your favorite color of crayon!
- “My sister is doing an experiment: Whenever men walk towards her, she doesn’t move out of the way first. So far she has collided with 28 men.” source
- When I first saw this, I watched it over and over and over. It’s classic. How to walk like a queen, featuring Charlize Theron.
- This is kind of brilliant, is it not? A crisis text line.
- Have you ever wondered how to defend your opinions, when you are the worst at arguing? This Get Bullish article offers really great advice on quietly—but powerfully—sticking to your guns and making your voice heard.
- I love this not very relatable post about taking zero maternity leave and doing all the things (also by Jen at Get Bullish). Not because I plan to be that kind of new mom, specifically, but to see someone breaking the mold so boldly is exceedingly refreshing.
- Making art reduces stress…even if you suck at it! One more reason to make things.
- One year ago – Roasted Brussels sprouts are my everything (they still are)
- Two years ago – You’ve done this a thousand times
- Three years ago – Bedroom decor inspiration (my breakthrough, in pictures)
- Four years ago – Lemon drop sugar scrub (another 3-ingredient DIY using only pantry staples)
- Five years ago – Another reason to love an old, old house
Till next time, friends! Sending you love and warm winter wishes.